Saturday, July 5, 2014

Happy (4th) Campers having fun…

Here is the Monaco-in-Motion group waiting for the Calgary Stampede Parade to begin.  It lasted for two hours!P1220278

We saw horses, bands, more horses, military, carriages, wagons, tanks, bagpipers, floats, old vehicles…yikes.  Did I mention it lasted two hours?!  The bleachers were not soft, but the entertainment was outstanding.  And the Grand Marshall…was William Shatner!

P1220297

These were the same kids we saw at the Sports Museum on Thursday.  They are from Australia, and were thrilled to be performing at this event:

P1220477

One of the many floats…

P1220453

We all successfully hopped back on the Light Rail, and headed to the Stampede Rodeo immediately after the parade ended in downtown Calgary.  Yessirree, bulls, horses, calves, cowboys, cowgirls, and racing barrels…along with typical fair food of every description being offered along the midway, as well as games of chance.  The Stampede has it all.  And lots of people everywhere.

We were blessed with sunshine, unlike the rain that prevailed last year.  Being Independence Day for the US, they had a young lady sing our national anthem while a gal on horseback paraded the US flag around the inside of the whole stadium.  It was quite touching, and very appreciated.  Then the action really began:

P1220610

P1220583

I deleted quite a few of the 300+ photos I took yesterday, but if anyone wants to see ALL of them, just let me know!

The Calgary Tower is on the agenda for today, followed by another round back at the Stampede…for some special entertainment tonight.  This is our final day here in the Calgary area.  Tomorrow, we move on.  There is still much to see and do.

Life is good north of the border!  Happy Saturday to all.

3 comments:

  1. How nice that the USA's national holiday was commemorated at the Stampede! It looks like great fun, hope today is another fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodeo's are fun, but you need to root for someone. I'm with you on that.

    Have a terrific last day in Calgary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parades are not my cup of tea. I tried to like them, truly I did. But all the sweating and waiting and rude people make it nearly impossible for me to enjoy it. And more likely than not my car always gets blocked in and I can't leave. I did one rodeo... that was plenty.

    Gosh. I sound grouchy... but honestly, I am not. :)

    Your group and the rest of the peoples look mighty happy to be there. Can't wait to see where we're headed next!

    big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete